The Free Art and Technology Lab (F.A.T.) has provided three different energetic and passionate methods for voicing support for Ai Weiwei, the famous Chinese artist and activist who has been detained without known reason by the Chinese government since March 31st.
First, the China Web Boycott browser extension, a valiant effort, though without a significant chunk of the Western world participating, a largely invisible one. Users can download a plugin that prevents you from venturing onto Chinese websites, boycotting the country's web province until Ai Weiwei is released.
Second, the F--- Off !! bookmarklett, an extension that plasters the middle finger across screens of sites you feel are somehow in collusion with China's actions. F.A.T. lists Deutsche Bank, BMW and Siemens as violators, for "keeping their mouths shut about Ai Weiwei's arrest" and "sponsoring art shows and culture in China and pretending nothing has happened".
Of course, the bookmarklett is only visible to the user, and you would have to take a screen shot and post it in the site's comments, or elsewhere, for others to see your position. Download here.
Lastly, something out of the virtual space, and into the real world: FREE Ai Weiwei glasses. To visually demonstrate your support of Ai Weiwei, you can stroll the streets of your urban metropolis donning glasses with a small middle finger in your line of eyesight, giving the world a big "F you". Of course, without context you will come across as an angry neanderthal of sorts, but it gives you the excuse to spread the word. Download here.
*Notably, the idea for the Ai Weiwei glasses initially originated back in 2006, when F.A.T. founder Aram Bartholl created art project "First Person Shooter", a commentary on violence in the virtual world of video games. In an art space installed with a large mirror and an image of the typical first person shooter perspective, Aram handed out DIY kits for paper glasses with a small unwavering gun installed in the wearer's line of eyesight. Download here.
More projects by F.A.T.:
- Block Charlie Sheen From Your Browser with F.A.T.'s "Tinted Sheen" Extension.
- DIY Clap-Off Bra.
- MoMA Pisses Off Internet Artists (Here's How to Get Back at Them).
- Prank the World: DIY Fake Google Street View Car.
- iPhone App + Projector Lets You Tag....Well, Anything.
- DIY Ocular Assault Weapon.
- Robo-Tagger (Unmanned Graffiti).
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades